30 September 2009

Our first brief this year was entitled 'A Picture is worth 1000 words'
'While one picture can do a lot, could it describe your entire day?
How about a part of your day?
We're about to find out.
You are asked to create a short series of three images that encapsulates part of your mornings, afternoons and evenings. Try to make each image as personal as possible.
This is to try to test your observational, compositional and narrative skills.
What you leave out of your image is almost as important as what you put in.'

The theme we are working on this year is 'RISK' and we have been asked to incorporate that into each of our projects. For me, working in the studio is taking a risk as I am much more preferable to using natural lighting in natural environments. Although I do enjoy being able to dictate the lighting, I am not a fan of setting up images to perfect, I would rather capture its reality.

With these images I tried to make them as simple as possible to that they would sit nicely together, this symbolises that my day to day activity is often quite plain and simple.
The composition of the frames is almost exactly the same, this is so that the hanging in light and of activity is highlighted and so that when displayed as a final set in a series, there is a strong, visible horizon line (the table) throughout the images so they are presented aesthetically.
With the use of the lights I tried to recreate that of daylight in terms of direction and strength. In my first image 'Morning' I have the light coming in the frame softly from the right (the East) to show the soft early morning light. As we move on to my second image, 'Noon' the light id much stronger and more head on (high in the sky, at its strongest and brightest at noon). And finally in my third image, 'Night' the light is more beamed from the right of the frame, thus showing the last rays of light (from the west).

Morning

Noon

Night

As they would be displayed

0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com